Thursday 17 January 2013

Banana Oat Cake

I was totally in the baking zone yesterday afternoon! After spending the day "Fletcher Free" (he was at his new Daycare Mum's house), I decided he and I should have some fun in the kitchen!

Fletcher absolutely loves it when Mummy cooks.. he stands at the baby gate and watches, or in his high chair (or on the floor) playing with his own set of measuring cups and spoons - it is such a delight to watch!!

So.. another new recipe. I had really high hopes for this, and to be honest, I'm sure it would have been lovely if I'd used the right coconut oil!! NOTE: Use only VIRGIN COCONUT OIL (the cheap ones are more suited for cosmetic use, not baking!).

I'm going shopping today for proper coconut oil but in the meantime, here's the recipe.

**NOTE: re-made this over the weekend and I was right, this recipe is DIVINE!!!!**

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups GF oats
1/4 cup honey
2 tbs virgin coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup GF flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana (approx 3 bananas)
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a slice tray with baking paper
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine oats, honey, oil and vanilla. Stir in egg, banana and coconut until well combined. Set aside.
3. In a small bown combine flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients and pour into prepared tray.
5. Cook in the oven for 30min or until a fork inserted comes out clean.
6. Let cool completely before cutting.
* Can be frozen if wrapped well*

This is a great one to cook for an open home... my house smelt delicious yesterday while baking this, which is how I know it's going to taste awesome when I use the right oil!!

No comments:

Post a Comment